Select Page

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 01:42:24 PM EDT, Library Foundation <> wrote:

Please see attached. (Foundation Letter)

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 1:20 PM Richard Gelerman wrote:

Sarah and Judy:   As you are well aware, we have been exploring ways to resolve the issues that may prevent the library project from going forward.  One of the possibilities for accomplishing this would be the Freeman acquisition.  As you also know we have not been able to reach agreement with the Freemans on a purchase price.   One of the possible parties that could possibly provide funds is your Foundation, so we asked.  I understand the preconditions to any contribution by the Foundation and those would have been built into any agreement with the Freemans and with the Foundation.  Your request that we refrain from discussions of the potential use of Foundation funds, rather than finding ways to work with the town, is not at all helpful to our efforts to find a solution that would allow the project to proceed.    Frankly, the process to get the library constructed has been hampered by this seeming hostility, the source of which escapes me.   Dick

On Friday, April 2, 2021, 03:18:32 PM EDT, Library Foundation <> wrote:


There’s no hostility on the Foundation’s part. We weren’t included in discussions on the land purchase issue, heard there were potential plans to use Foundation funds, and felt we should respond. If you’d like our involvement, we’d appreciate it if you reached out to us directly.  

 Sarah and Judy, on behalf of the Foundation Board

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 4:53 PM Richard Gelerman  wrote:

Sarah and Judy:    there has been some movement with the possibility of reaching an agreement with the Freemans.   I would like to discuss with you one provision of the proposed agreement,  I can conference both of you tomorrow if you send me the best numbers to reach you.   Dick

On Apr 14, 2021, at 1:04 PM, Library Foundation <> wrote:

Hi Dick,

Instead of a call, would you please send us the provision that you would like to discuss?  We’d have to run any provision past our board for a vote. Having it written will make sure there’s no room for miscommunication with our board. 

Thank you,

Sarah and Judy

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 1:28 PM Richard Gelerman  wrote:

Sarah and Judy:   I spoke yesterday with counsel for the Freemans.   We were able to reach agreement on the terms of a purchase and sale agreement, subject as you would expect on several conditions.   One of these conditions is that while they will accept a purchase price from the Town of $770,000, they want to be able to supplement that amount with additional funds from a third party, i e your foundation.   I made it clear that I can not speak for you.   Also the Freemans wanted to have this provision open ended and the amount to be determined after the TM votes on May 2 whether or not to fund the $770,000.  I think the chances of success would be improved if the contribution from the Foundation, if you decide to do so, were known at the time of the meeting.   We will have a provision that no funds will be expended unless we have assurances that the project will actually go forward.  This in any event is a condition I would require for the payment by the town.    Let me know how you want to proceed.   Please  keep in mind that we are working with pressing time constraints.  I am copying this to Brian and could arrange for all of us to talk as that would allow me to address other questions you may have.   Dick

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 6:47 PM Library Foundation <> wrote:

Dear Dick,

Thanks for your update on the town’s negotiations with the Freemans. As we have indicated previously, the Board of the Library Foundation, in accordance with the wishes of the Library Trustees and upon advice of counsel, has voted unanimously to utilize what funds it may raise to enhance the new building once it is built. None of its funds can or will be used for land purchase.

If the town wishes to purchase the Freeman property, that would be the town’s decision.


Sarah and Judy